With a new chapter on the way.. I thought it would be interesting to look back on the "Sands of Time" trilogy. And how it possible may still have some connections. Consider this a note to my longtime friends from "The Swordsmen" -which was the community built within Ubi to promote the PoP series..
When the sands were made many generations ago, their foundations were built upon "light & dark". Once the darkness was disturbed, it opened a rift within "the past & present", the powers that be gave artificial energy to the sands. As we've learned, this "new" prince encounters these beings that fought centuries ago (adorned within the palace walls in "Sands").
- Past, Present, or Future?
There was a long debate many PoP fans disagreed with.
1) Did the Prince really go home?
2) Was it his fate to save?
3) Or did he die once he put on the mask?
4) Where did the sands come from?
5) What was the Prince's name?
1) A - yes he did, but since his decision had been made, its true reality had been made.
2) A - yes & no, in the prelude trailers we saw early on for Warrior Within, he was said to die.
But since fate changed, everything was different in the long run.
3) A - that is to be answered, but I feel strongly that he may have died. Seeing as how it was also cursed, sapping away at his energy until he made his way. In a sense he became a sand creature, alot like the Dahaka.. but still mortal.
4) A - Settled within the temples of the Maharajah, the Prince encounters a manuscript that tells the tale of someone that found it long ago. Once using the dagger, was able to find the Sands and bring it elsewhere. (could it possibly be the Prince we become in the newer entry?)
5) A - As we've found out recently in reports of the film coming soon, Dastan is his given name. But we never knew of his name in the trilogy. A lot of fans did some digging to find out what his rich history could have been. But its nestled on the fact it could be more than one person that carries the name or title.
defintion - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dastan
- Sands influence (Silent Hill)
In Konami's series "Silent Hill", it is a place long forgotten that carried a dark past. Once someone stepped into its grounds, they were enveloped in darkness. Its powers originated in the earth, and found itself nestled within that persons psyche testing their heart. But when it found who they truly were, it found bind them to their fate.
In the "Sands" trilogy, we've always noticed a trail of "sands" flowing within the dagger, to surrounding the Prince in Warrior Within, and Two Thrones. But what is most unsettling is that maybe its consuming him more, and more like a drug. (SH also had a dark narrative of a drug known as "White Claudia" meant to drive the person's manifestations as if they are under someone's control)
Now was the Empress truly there, and did she die? That is another head scratcher, she was known to be an observer, but was mortal in a sense. Since it was her being the creator, and protector of the sands. Kaileena's true age is not known, and may possibly be centuries old.
But once the Prince took her away from the "Island of Time", she was mortal. Until the Vizer took her life force, freeing her as an entity (her true form).
Another thing to note, of all the enemies that the Prince faced within the Castle, they were from his own conscience. (likewise in Silent Hill, most of the creatures you encounter were things created from your nightmares.. or something more that was left behind)
- Sand Creature Prince
Once the wearer puts on the mask, they become one of the Sands. With speed, stamina, and grace.. but only one thing... you can die. The more the pursuer wears the said mask, their life force will be drained. As for how he encounters himself later on.. its opened two possibilities.
1) the earlier prince will go his onward on his quest.. but with help
2) *since there are two endings.. an earlier prince (without all the life pieces) will take down the Empress
3) the true prince (with all life pieces obtained) will take down the Dahaka
*as we find out with the latter... taking Kaileena and heading home, the real fate that lies ahead
"what is done, cannot be undone"
In the long run, from the Dagger, to the Empress it was a lesson in humanity. Once the Prince opened the sacred treasure, he tied his soul to the sands themselves. For many years after, he went on a conquest to find anyone who knew of the "Sands" creator to take away the curse. Thus his quest nearly met an end with Dahaka getting closer to taking his essence. Which throughout some of the cutscenes in WW explains a bit of foreshadowing his return back home. (if he didn't take Kaileena with him) With her being beside him, it added a bit of safe passage as it were.. and explains a bit more on how they both returned safely... until he finds his homeland taken away from him.
Close to his "future past", were the lands he fought within.. from his memories aboard the boat. To seeking out this "Island", its not known just how many that could have been taken down. But there was a DS game said to be the "inside" piece together his battles.
"The voice inside my head"
In Two Thrones, with Kaileena's spirit released, and the Vizer taking ahold of Babylon. The prince is taken aback.. his darker self comes out (the unhumbled extent of his conscience, lusting for power) while the other is seeking redemption. *also an extra note Yuri Lowenthal reprised his role as the normal Prince, where Robin Atkins Downes portrays the power hungry "Dark Prince".
Yet with things set right, does the Prince & Farah live happily ever after? I believe that is up to the players imagination.
There are many open possibilities within this next chapter.. we are all looking forward to it.